I carry
the garbage bag like a badge of honor, dangling it in my right hand so all can
see it. I want to make sure that any passing neighbors or window witches
staring as I walk my dog, Darcy, have no doubt whatsoever that I cleanup after her.
Through the
grapevine, I heard that a dog owner, just a few doors down from where I live,
never cleans up after her pooch. I can’t blame her. Bagging dog shit ranks up
there with colonoscopies and anal exams. In short, I find it gross and
disgusting.
But it
goes with being a dog owner. In my town, they passed a law requiring dog
walkers to pick up after their dog. If you don’t and you get caught, the town
will fine you $100 for each incident.
Cleaning
up after your dog makes sense if she poops in front of someone’s mailbox or in
the middle of a driveway. Who wants to walk into that by accident? However,
given that I live in the boonies, I think the crap can safely rest in peace in
some spots, alongside the moose, bear and deer droppings. And that is where I
draw the line.
If Darcy
craps in a secluded space, well off the road and not near any homes…and if no
one sees her (other than me), I let the poop lie and allow nature to takes its
course in the disintegration process. Now I have to figure out how to train her
to poop only in those hidden spots.
So for
now, I swing that garbage bag, scoop up the poop and literally hold my nose.
No comments:
Post a Comment