Friday, February 8, 2013

Me and My Shadow Follow The Same Path


They say people and their dogs often resemble one another. Think of the tall man with the tiny Chihuahua – a likeness of sorts.

Darcy definitely acts like my dog, gravitating to me even when others are around. I don’t think we look alike, although her eyes have a familiarity. But as time progresses I have noticed similarities.

One night, as I lay in bed and Darcy lay on her bed nearby, she sneezed. A few seconds later, I sneezed. Hmmm, I thought. Weird.

Then the other night as I lay on the couch watching TV with Darcy laying on the floor next to me, I stretched and made an ahhh sound. A couple seconds later Darcy stretched and made an ahhh sound.  Double weird, I thought.

Darcy follows me around the house, like my daemon. When I go upstairs she goes upstairs. As I work on the computer, she lies by my desk.

What I now notice, though, is that in those rare instances when she does not follow me, I pause, look around perplexed and call her name. Balance to my world returns when she comes by my side.

I just hope we don’t start howling at the moon.



No comments:

Post a Comment