Saturday, October 13, 2012

Nothin’ Says Lovin’…


About once a month, when you enter my home the smell of fresh baked goodies greets you. But as my husband knows, I barely cook and never bake…with one exception. I make treats for my pups. 

Now you may ask why someone who disdains cooking goes through the trouble of making dog biscuits when virtually every supermarket and box store on the planet sells them at a reasonable cost.
 
Here’s why:
·      They are easy and mindless to make.
·      I know what ingredients go into the treats and the fact that I can pronounce each one.
·      I can make any shape and size I want. (I really like little ‘bits’ that are ideal for training, even though my mutts are long past that stage).
·      And, my customers (meaning my dogs) love them and never complain. Their gratitude, attention and scarfing up of each morsel makes me feel like a great chef.

My recipe came from my sister who knew my cooking challenges and assured me of its simplicity. She explained that you can quickly mix up the four ingredients, roll it out, cut the shapes you want, put it on the cookie sheet and while it bakes kick back and enjoying a cup of java.
 
What you will need:

2/3 cup water
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup cornmeal
6 Tablespoons of oil (I use olive oil or a combination of olive and peanut oil)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Get a bowl and mix all the ingredients together. Take a portion of the dough and roll it out. (I roll it on a baking sheet or parchment paper because I am too lazy to have to pick out the cut out shapes, meaning bits or bones, and place them on the cookie sheet).

Cut the shapes you want. I use a dog bone cookie cutter. For my bits, I use a pizza cutter and simply cut strips of dough that I then cross cut to make little squares. I do not worry about consistency in terms of size and shape. Who cares? My dogs eat them regardless of what they look like.   

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool. Serve to your pups and revel in the adoration. 




5 comments:

  1. You're a hoot. I'm disappointed that you never served me any, having, as a child, followed and one by one gobbled up a trail of (store-bought) dog biscuits set out through our yard by my mischievous older brother and his friend. To this moment, I remember the wonderful nutty, earthy scent of them and melding of the scent into delicious taste. I can only wonder what yours taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the title, it's true for dogs as well as people. Nothing says love quite like a home baked meal (or treat!). I just might have to try this for my eager-to-please dog. Thanks for the recipe. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I hope the recipe works out well for you and that your dog loves it and gives you total admiration!

      Delete
  3. I love this post. It's filled with humor, lots of information, a recipe and photos. I know you won't be in class tonight, but I'm going to pull this up so we can all talk about it. We'll miss you. Best of luck to you and the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great class and I will miss it! Thanks for your help, insight and encouragement.

      Delete