Saturday, September 29, 2012

Love At First Sight



Adonis on the Hunt,
Illustration by Jacob Matham, 1607-1610. 
I took one look at him and felt cupid’s arrows pierce my heart. He stood tall and cast a big presence with 120 pounds of pure muscle. Perfectly proportioned, I thought of him as the Adonis of German Shepherds. My soon-to-be husband’s dog, Bartholomew, would soon become my best friend and protector.

I always wanted a German Shepherd. I grew up hearing stories about Suzy, my mum’s German Shepherd that she had to leave in England when her family emigrated to America. When mum talked about Suzy she got a wistful look, explaining that having a dog like Suzy gave you confidence.

I wanted a Suzy but lived in an apartment in the Bronx with a no dogs policy. So for the time being, cats (who thought they were dogs) would have to do and my confidence would have to wait.

When I got married, I finally got my Suzy with Bartholomew. And so began the Barth years, the building of our family, the growing of my confidence and the realization that even an Adonis has an Achilles heel.

2 comments:

  1. I feel if we're lucky, we all have a dog of a lifetime. This sounds like yours.

    ReplyDelete